Tomorrow is Swiss National Day. I am sorry to say that I do not own a Swiss flag, yet. Yet being the operative word here. But this is what I have learned so far about living in this wonderful city and country:
- Basel has 2 cantons: Basel-Land and Basel-Stadt. The word “canton” is similar to “state” for my US compadres. I live in Basel-Stadt; so therefore, this tin is the flag’s motif from the canton Basel-Stadt.
- Most famous Swiss personality – Roger Federer. Since he is from Basel, I now watch tennis.
- The Swiss have not received any medals yet in the Olympics but that could all change with the above fore mentioned …
- Lacherach Chocolatier Suisse – has the best Swiss chocolate
- A colleague of The Shaker’s told him that Swiss National Day is the result of all the Swiss cantons uniting together to form one country – Switzerland.
- You can swim – really you float - down the Rhine with a “wickelfisch” bag. Or as google translate calls it a “wrap fish.” It’s a bag that is bright in color and keeps your stuff dry. Gin has done this several time and adds this tip: put your phone into a ziplog bag and then into the “wickelfisch.”
- And Basel has it’s own cookie called “Basler Leckerli.” Also, I found a recipe while I was “googling” the spelling!
The Martini Knitter